Thursday, March 10, 2011

Christmas Time: Advent and Nikolaus

Continuing with my belated holiday theme, I will now go on with the most magical time of year, Christmas!

Christmas (Weihnachten) in Germany is something truly special that I'm happy I had the chance to experience. The season here is based on Advent, which is the time spent in preparation for and anticipation of the nativity of Jesus, or Christmas Day. Advent is measured in two ways. First, by use of the Advent calendar, in which every day has a special door to be opened as that day comes, often hiding a piece of candy or small gift to be enjoyed on that particular day. Next, Advent is also followed using 4 candles, representing the 4 Sundays leading up to Christmas. Four Sundays before Christmas, the first candle is lit. On the next Sunday, a second candle is lit, and so on.


Example of an Advent calendar.

Santa Claus takes a slightly different form in Germany. Here, it is "Sankt Nikolaus" (Saint Nicholas) who plays the role of the generous old jolly fat man. Nikolaus comes not once, but TWICE during the Christmas season. First, he comes on Sankt Nikolaus Tag (Saint Nicholas Day), which is celebrated on December 6th. On the night of the 5th, children put their shoes in front of their door, and during the night Nikolaus comes and fills them with candy if they were good in the last year...otherwise they just get a small tree branch (not coal like in the US).


Advent candles.

For some children, this is also a fearful thing, as Nikolaus is often accompanied by Knecht Ruprecht (a servant equipped with 8 deer legs), who would threaten to beat the children if they misbehaved. In Switzerland, he even takes the children, puts them in sacks, and either drags them into the forest or throws them in the river to drown them. (These legends can be quite gory....something tells me that this would not go over as well in the US...too bad! lol.)

Of course, Nikolaus also comes on Christmas Eve to bring toys for good little boys and girls.

During this time, chocolate Nikolaus men are also sold. My neighbor put one at my door for me to find on my way out to work the next day. It was really sweet. I couldn't eat any of them because they are so cute...and they are still all sitting on my windowsill today, March 10th. Hahaha.


My collection of chocolate Nikolaus men.

More to come!