Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Christmas: The Food

Continuing my "Christmas series", I'll now move on to everyone's favorite thing about holidays...the food!

As I mentioned in the Thanksgiving post, turkey is not as popular on holidays in Germany as it in the US. Rather, on special occasions, they are more likely to eat duck, rabbit, or ham. I had actually never eaten either duck or rabbit before coming here, and I was pleasantly surprised by both. Once I got past the psychological hindrance of eating "the Easter bunny", that is. After discovering how tender the meat is though, I decided that rabbits get eaten by things all the time anyway, and I might as well claim my share.



The meat is most likely to be served with mashed potatoes, Rotkohl (literally "red cabbage"; this is rarely seen in the US, so imagine a combination of pickled beet redness and taste, and sauerkraut, and you'll have it), a gravy made from the meat, and maybe another vegetable. It's also quite likely that there will be some kind of salad of shredded lettuce, cubed apples, and special musturdy mystery sauce.



On Christmas Eve, we went to Nicole's grandparent's house for dinner. I thought it was funny because they also had sausages and potato salad! Very German! Hehehe ^^.

Of course there is also a lot of candy and sweets. Christmas cookies, or Plätzchen, are always a nice treat.