Thursday, November 4, 2010

One more thing: Norway=Really Freaking Expensive

One thing I didn't mention in my last post was how freaking expensive everything is in Norway. I only bought the absolute necessities, such as 1 meal a day (the other two being stretched out from the complimentary breakfast at the hostels), a place to sleep, a refridgerator magnet or two, and...that's it really. However, I still managed to put myself in the red a little. To give you an idea:

-Most places in Europe/Scandinavia, you have to pay to use any public restroom. In Germany, this averages around 50 cents. In Norway, this costs $2. Yes...$2!!! Going to the bathroom is a basic human function, and they exploit it fully. I can't believe this injustice, and was tempted to rebel and just go outside. Luckily however, I timed myself so that I only went at the hostel or someplace I ate at for free. Screw you, officials!

-One scoop of ice cream in a cone = $6.

-2 regular candy bars, nothing special = $8.

-Whopper Combo Meal at Burger King = $20.

-Cup of potato soup (not bowl, a CUP) with a slice of bread and small non-refillable drink = $25.

-Small bottle of Fanta = $4.

-Lunch special at TGI Friday's, including one medium drink = $40.

I could go on, but you get the idea. The basic formula you should keep in mind is as follows: 4*(Average US price)=Norweigian cost(roughly).

Yeah, bring lots of money when going to Norway. That's all I can say.