Thursday, November 4, 2010

More on Norway

So, once again I've been slacking on my blog. Sorry, guys! :ß

Anyway, more about Norway. The first night I was there I stayed in Oslo, since early the next day I had to catch the train from there to do my tour. When I got off the bus, I felt totally lost and disorientated...and of course, all signs were in Norweigian, so that wasn't much help. After asking about 3 people, I finally found my way to the hostel I was staying at. It was pretty nice, and once I got there I completely crashed for several hours. I wasn't too worried about going out because I knew I would be coming back.

The tour I went on is called "Norway in a Nutshell", and it seems to be quite popular. Normally I would book everything myself, but this package made it so easy because it included every train ticket I needed plus the ferry ticket through the fjords, which was definitely high on my priority list. Plus, I could also meet other tourists since we all had something in common. It wasn't too expensive, either.

I started my tour in Oslo, which is in the eastern part of the country. The first train went a town called Myrdal...a 5-hour, very scenic ride. The countryside really is something to admire, and the brilliant fall colors only added to its beauty. There are mountains, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, quaint little villages and farms, lots of sheep, and rugged hills. It is probably the most photographic location I've ever been to.

Once in Myrdal, I changed to a smaller train that would take me to a small village named Flamm. This was only a 12-mile stretch, but it was extremely beautiful. The conductor even stopped a couple of times for people to get out and take pictures. There was a breath-taking waterfall, as well as some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. On this train I met a nice family from Australia that took me under their wing, as I was traveling alone. I also met a really sweet retired couple from Virginia, and a girl from South Korea named JiEun.

We stopped for a few hours in Flamm to eat lunch and do a little exploring. I had a salmon meal that was pretty tasty. After this, it was time to tour the fjords, so we all boarded the ferry. The water was so calm and reflective...it was like a dream. The air was a little bit brisk standing outside, but it was totally worth it. The ferry doubled as a regional mail carrier, so along the way we would stop and the various villages along the fjords to drop off crates.

The fjord tour last 2 hours. Afterward, we were bussed to the next town called Voss to catch the train headed for Bergen (west coast), my last stop for the day. We arrived fairly late, so my hostel was already closed for the evening. Luckily I called ahead of time and the lady told me to pick up my key at a pool hall next door. I thought this sounded a little sketchy, but in the end everything worked out.

I actually had a German roommate! She was really nice...around 40 years old, and shocked that I could speak with her in German. It was great. Haha. I have to say, there are soo many Germans in Scandinavia! Everywhere I went I heard German.

The next day I spent touring Bergen. Unfortunately, due to the season, many things that I would normally want to see were closed, but that's ok. The best thing I did in Bergen was take a trolly that went straight up a mountain that half of the city rested on, and got an amazing view of the city, the mountains, and the bay. Also, the Edvard Munch exhibit was actually visiting Bergen (normally in Oslo), so I managed to see "The Scream". He is the most famous Norweigian artist, and "The Scream" is nearly as well-known as the Mona Lisa. It was awesome!

I took the train back to Oslo that evening. The next day, I did Rick Steeve's walking tour, and saw some interesting things. The Royal Palace was preparing for a visit by the Swiss president that day, so there was a military parade. It was really cool...the soldiers carry swords! I also saw the main cathedral, and I thought it was beautiful.

By far my favorite thing I did in Oslo was visiting the Folk Museum. It is an "open-air" museum of over 150 original, preserved buildings from various periods of time. It was so cool, and reminded me a lot of my dad's Old Train Town in Cody. Very quaint. There was so much to see. I wish I had more time to go through it, because I would gladly spend an entire day there. I highly recommend it.

Right next to the Folk Museum was a Viking ship museum, with actual restored Viking ships. It was pretty cool to see them, too. Only problem was that my camera was dead at this point. lol.

Speaking of my camera, something happened to it the night before my tour, and most of the pictures I took were blurry. Some of them turned out well, but unfortunately not as many as I wanted. Oh well. Stupid camera.

All in all, it was cool to see Norway from my own eyes, especially since that's where my Great-Grandpa Sam came from, who I've been hearing about for my entire life. I have to say that his home town of Oslo was totally different that I expected. Not bad, but I think he made the right choice to come to America. ;)