Monday, September 20, 2010

School Life and Teaching

For the last week or so, I've been working at the school. It's a great deal...only 12hours a week, 4 days a week! So far, I've mostly been there observing and walking around to assist the students, or participating in the discussions. The kids seem to be pretty interested in me because I'm something new and different. Luckily, most (if not all) do not seem to be too shy about speaking English while I'm around, and that makes things a lot easier.

The school system here in Germany is quite different than ours in the US. Any schooling that a child receives before entering the elementary school (1st grade) is considered kindergarten. For us, this would be a combination of pre-school AND kindergarten. This is not part of the elementary school...kindergartens are in different buildings. Also, kindergarten is not required in Germany.

At age 6, all children must be enrolled in the Grundschule, or elementary school. All students remain together until the 6th grade. During the years in elementary school, it is determined what educational path the students will take next. There are several different options. The Gymnasium, where university-bound students attend, is for students grades 7-13. There are 3 other types of secondary schools: the Realschule, through grade 10, teaches the same subjects as the Gymnasium but is partially vocational for mid-range students; the Hauptschule (also vocational and somewhat alternative), where subjects are taught at a slower pace; and finally, the Gesamtschule, which is a mix of the earlier three types.

I teach at the Einstein Gymnasium here in Neuenhagen. So far, the students have really impressed me with their English skills. I haven't had any issues as of yet, outside of one exception. One day, I was introducing myself to the class, and when I came to a close I asked the students if they had any questions for me. One kid raised his hand, and I called on him. "What do you think about the people in America burning the Quran?"

"Um...ok....I think it's a little early for questions like that (11:00am). Next question, please."

Same kid raises his hand. "What kinds of things have you heard about Germans in the US?"

I wasn't really expecting such upfront questions. I told him that Americans were under the impression that Germans are very efficient and serious, but I was eager to change the subject. That's not the tone I wanted to set for this class!

Anyway, the other teachers are nice and insist on speaking to me in only English. That makes it easy for me, but at the same time I don't get much of a chance to practice my German at the school. Oh well, maybe I'll just have to get to know the students during lunch and practice it then. Hopefully they like my accent. :P