Thursday, December 9, 2010

Brussels

After a few initial difficulties (see last post), I fell in love with Brussels. It is such a cool city. There are so many things to see, so many wonderful things to eat, and the people are very friendly. It truly is a one-of-a-kind.

Belgium has been under so many different occupations through the years that it has had exposure to a variety of cultures, which has led to its own unique cultural development. There are two official languages, French and Dutch; however, there is an area where Plattdeutsch is spoken (a northern German dialect), and of course English being the international language it is, it is also widely spoken and understood. From what I gathered from my short visit, there is still a conflict between French and Dutch that has yet to be resolved.

One interesting result from the presence of many languages in Belgium is the importance of cartoons and comics. Belgium is apparently famous for its cartoons, and creates more cartoons than any other country (something I didn't know before). This is a form of communication that can transcend language barriers; however, with my own experience, as well as the experience of my students, with foreign comics, this doesn't appear to be the case. Usually foreign language learners dread comics in the language they are learning. I guess the Belgian ones are just way better...they've mastered the art.

There are so many cool things to see in Brussels. The "Grand Place" is the original town square that has been there for centuries, and is surrounded with very beautiful, gothic style buildings that are 400-500 years old. In my opinion, this is something that you really have to experience in person, because pictures can't seem to capture the effect of standing there and looking at them with your own eyes. I literally spent 45 minutes in this square JUST looking at the outside of these beautiful buildings. They were so detailed, and even ornated with gold. I couldn't believe the work that the people must have put into creating them, especially 500 years ago when everything had be made with blood and sweat.

Of course, Brussels is famous for its statue of Menneqin Pis, a small boy peeing. This is actually pretty fascinating, so I'm reserving a special post just for him. :)

There is a very beautiful cathedral in Brussels that has been standing there since 1014. It is huge, not to mention absolutely breathtaking. I spent about an hour in the cathedral, really taking my time and enjoying it.

Brussels (and Belgium in general) is also famous for Belgian waffles, chocolate, mussels, and French fries! I am happy to report that I tested all of these items, and they really are as good as they say. (I had no idea that French fries were actually a Belgian creation...how misleading! Too bad they eat them with mayonnaise...yuck.)

I bought sooooo much chocolate. The quality really was amazing. All I can say here is that Belgium chocholate = mouthgasm.

One of the best things I did in Brussels what eat at a restaurant called "The Lobster House." I happened to stumble across this place when I was just walking around. One of the waiters was out front, and when he saw me pause and contemplate going inside, he said, "Hungry?" with a big friendly smile. I said I was, and he led me inside to a table with a candle and fresh flowers. It was really charming, and the service was amazing (although admittedly, a bit too friendly for me at times). I had a 3-course meal of shrimp scampi and homemade rolls, a huge pot of steamed mussels and salad, and a Belgian waffle for desert. Everything was absolutely delicious. I loved it so much I went back the next day, and had an equally amazing meal. They really appreciated that I came back, and even gave me my Fanta at no charge. :)

Belgium is also known for stitchwork. There were some beautiful table cloths and doilies, as well as stitched parasols. I really wanted to buy a parasol, but had no way to bring it home. :(

All in all, Brussels is a really cool place, and I hope I'll have the chance to go back someday.